Welcome!

Welcome to the personal blog of Richard Anderson.

Saturday 10 March 2007

ASP+ and the NGWS runtime

It's hard to believe that it's almost seven years have past since I worked with Wrox Press & Microsoft to author one of the very first books on ASP.Net. 

Back then ASP.Net was still called ASP+ and the .Net framework was still being called NGWS (Next Generation Web Services).  Microsoft re-branded to .Net just before TechEd 2000, too late for us to change all of the references.

I felt very privileged to be invited to write this book.    I got to work closely with some great people at Microsoft, spending countless hours with the ASP.Net team, esp. Scott Guthrie and Rob Howard.

Here is a picture of the book (I'm the guy in the top left):

Amazon.com still seem to list the book too, pretty amazing:

http://www.amazon.com/Preview-Active-Server-Pages+/dp/1861004753

So, what are all the authors doing these days?

Dave Sussman - Still going strong teaching and writing.  I've got a link to his blog on this site.

Alex Homer - As with Dave, still writing away, doing alot of Microsoft work (PAG stuff last I heard).  Check out www.alanddave.com to see what he is up to.

Rob Howard - I've not been in touch with Rob for a long time.  A believe he runs the company that create Community Service (www.communityserver.org) these days.

Where is ASP.Net today and do I use it?

These days I run a company in the UK who builds several enterprise applications built using Asp.Net.  I'll blog about those applications and the company I work for another day.

Asp.Net continues to grow.   Check out the this site for lots of information.  

Will I author another book?

I've not written anything professionally or had anything published for about 5 years now.  Maybe in a few years I'll consider writing again, but, I've got a few other personal objectives to finish first.

No comments: